1. Preheat oven to170*C/gas mark 3. Lightly grease and line two round 9inch x 1inch sandwich cake pans with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder.
3. Cream together the Stork and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add half the eggs. Whisk to combine. Add the remaining eggs with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture and whisk well until combined and light. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little more of the flour.
5. Sprinkle the remaining flour mix over the egg mixture and gently fold in with a spatula in a figure-of-eight motion. Dive the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 35-40 minutes.
6. While the cakes are cooling, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
7. When the cakes are cold, remove the baking parchment and place one layer, bottom side uppermost on a serving plate.
8. Drain the cherries and brush the cake lightly with Kirsch syrup. Spread with a generous layer of The Cherry Tree cherry preserve.
9. Carefully spread or pipe half of the vanilla butter cream over the jam. Evenly distribute the drained cherries over the butter cream and place the second cake on top.
10. Place enough butter cream to pipe 12 rosettes into a piping bag fitted with a large star shaped piping nozzle, and put to one side.
11. Brush the top of the cake with any remaining Kirsch syrup and spread with the rest of the vanilla butter cream.
12. Grate the dark chocolate over the top of the cake. Pipe 12 evenly distributed rosettes of butter cream onto the cake, and top each with a cherry. Serve and enjoy!