It will be difficult not to demolish this classic cake in one sitting with the addition of our creamy, zesty curd… so why not make two at once?! The ultimate recipe choice for hosting afternoon tea.
For The Sponge:
For The Syrup:
For The Filling:
1. Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Place all of the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with a whisk until just smooth and pale.
2. Split the mixture between two cake tins and level with the back of a wooden spoon.
3. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
4. Make the syrup by warming together the lemon juice and icing sugar, then while the cake is still warm make holes all over it with a skewer and gradually spoon over the syrup allowing it to sink into the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.
5. To make the filling beat all the ingredients together except the icing sugar. When smooth, gradually add the icing sugar.
6. Spread over one half of the cake and place the other on top, sprinkle with icing sugar.