Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
Ingredients for a 9 inch cake (12 generous portions)
- 12oz / 350g caster sugar
- 12oz / 350g Stork margarine
- 12oz / 350g self raising flour
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon / 1.25ml pure vanilla extract
- 6oz / 175g The Cherry Tree Strawberry or Raspberry Preserve
- 6oz / 175g butter (room temperature)
- 12oz / 350g icing sugar, plus a little extra for dusting
- ½ teaspoon / 2.5ml pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to170*C / gas mark 3. Lightly grease and line two round 9inch x 1inch sandwich cake pans with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the Stork and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in several stages. To avoid curdling, add a tablespoon of flour after each addition. Gently beat in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour until just combined on slow speed if using a food mixer or with a large metal spoon and a figure-of-eight motion by hand.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly between the prepared cake tins. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- When the cakes are cold, remove the baking parchment and place one layer, bottom side uppermost on a serving plate.
- Spread with a generous layer of The Cherry Tree strawberry or raspberry preserve.
- Carefully spread or pipe a layer of the vanilla butter cream over the jam, and then place the second cake on top.
- Lightly sprinkle a dusting of icing sugar over the assembled Victoria Sandwich with. Serve and enjoy!