Black Forest Gâteau
Ingredients for 9 inch cake (12 generous portions)
- 280g / 10oz self-raising flour
- 70g / 2½oz cocoa
- 5ml / 1 tsp baking powder
- 350g / 12oz Stork margarine
- 350g / 12oz caster sugar
- 350g / 12oz (7) eggs
- 175g / 6oz (approx) The Cherry Tree Morello Cherry Extra Jam
- 350g / 12oz butter (at room temperature)
- 700g / 1lb 8oz icing sugar
- 5ml / 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 175g / 6oz (approx) cherries, marinated in Kirsch syrup, plus 12 extra for decoration
- 15ml / 1 tbsp Kirsch syrup
- 28g / 1oz chunk of dark chocolate for decoration
- Preheat oven to170℃/gas mark 3. Lightly grease and line two round 9" x 1" sandwich cake pans with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- Cream together the Stork and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add half the eggs. Whisk to combine. Add the remaining eggs with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture and whisk well until combined and light. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little more of the flour.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour mix over the egg mixture and gently fold in with a spatula in a figure-of-eight motion. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- When the cakes are cold, remove the baking parchment and place one layer, bottom side uppermost on a serving plate.
- Drain the cherries and brush the cake lightly with Kirsch syrup. Spread with a generous layer of The Cherry Tree Morello Cherry Extra Jam.
- Carefully spread or pipe half of the vanilla butter cream over the jam. Evenly distribute the drained cherries over the butter cream and place the second cake on top.
- Place enough butter cream to pipe 12 rosettes into a piping bag fitted with a large star shaped piping nozzle, and put to one side.
- Brush the top of the cake with any remaining Kirsch syrup and spread with the rest of the vanilla butter cream.
- Grate the dark chocolate over the top of the cake. Pipe 12 evenly distributed rosettes of butter cream onto the cake, and top each with a cherry.
- Serve and enjoy!