Lemon & Lime Curd Sponge
Ingredients for 9 inch cake (12 generous portions)
- 225g / 8oz butter, very soft
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 397g / 14oz can condensed milk
- 55g / 2oz ground almonds
- finely grated zest and juice of a lemon
- 225g / 8oz self-raising flour
- juice of 3 large lemons
- 110g / 4oz icing sugar
- 3 tbsp The Cherry Tree Lemon & Lime Curd
- 225g / 8oz creamed cheese
- 55g / 2oz butter
- 600g / 21oz icing sugar
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Place all of the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with a whisk until just smooth and pale.
- Split the mixture between two cake tins and level with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Make the syrup by warming together the lemon juice and icing sugar, then while the cake is still warm make holes all over it with a skewer and gradually spoon over the syrup allowing it to sink into the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the filling beat all the ingredients together except the icing sugar. When smooth, gradually add the icing sugar.
- Spread over one half of the cake and place the other on top, sprinkle with icing sugar.