Victoria Sponge Cake
Ingredients for a classic 9 inch cake (12 generous portions)
- 350g / 12oz caster sugar
- 350g / 12oz Stork margarine
- 350g / 12oz self raising flour
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1.25ml / ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 175g / 6oz The Cherry Tree Strawberry Extra Jam or Raspberry Extra Jam
- 175g / 6oz butter (room temperature)
- 350g / 12oz icing sugar, plus a little extra for dusting
- 2.5ml / ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170℃ / Gas Mark 3. Lightly grease and line two round 9" x 1" sandwich cake pans with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the Stork and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in several stages. To avoid curdling, add a tablespoon of flour after each addition. Gently beat in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour until just combined on slow speed if using a food mixer or with a large metal spoon and a figure-of-eight motion by hand.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly between the prepared cake tins. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- When the cakes are cold, remove the baking parchment and place one layer, bottom side uppermost on a serving plate.
- Spread with a generous layer of The Cherry Tree Strawberry or Raspberry Extra Jam.
- Carefully spread or pipe a layer of the vanilla butter cream over the jam, and then place the second cake on top.
- Lightly sprinkle a dusting of icing sugar over the assembled Victoria Sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy!